Monday, April 13, 2009

A TRIP TO REMEMBER...


It was Thursday evening, 8th of March 2007. I rented a car from Enterprise right after my spouse and 3 year old daughter (at that time) landed in Heathrow at 5pm that evening. Winter was almost over but still the weather was pretty cold (8 deg C) for us.

I managed to get a nice Volkswagen TDI 1.8 Compact as we had a plan to visit one of the famous football club in the world, Manchester United on the following day. We had only 3 days to spend together (before my business trip to Holland) so every single second that we had need to be fully utilised. To tell the truth, I had no idea on how to be there, moreover driving on my own.

The only confidence that I had was due to the steering wheel located on the right hand side of the car.

Nevertheless, with the help of my fellow colleague in providing me with a mapbook of UK, I told myself it is now or never. Why not give it a shot. As long I don't break any traffic rules, I should be ok.

That Friday morning, we started our journey as early as 7am after having some light snacks as our breakfast. No GPS. The only GPS was my spouse giving me the direction base on her understanding on the maps. We departed from Reading and driving from one highway to another. We were on M1, M4, M40 and all sorts of M that represents Motorways in UK. Of course I couldn't remember all.

The best thing of all, after almost 2 hours of driving, we later saw a signboard stating that Reading was 5 miles away from there. I couldn't believe it. 2 hours of driving and we were right back to where we started.

To cut it short, I made a turn later on and hold the maps on my own, studying every possible way to get me back to Manchester. My spouse was fired on the spot and she was demoted from reading the map to reading the signboards only.. haha, just kidding. I still need her to read the map as my focus was on the road.



All in all, it was a nice journey though, and finally we managed to be at Old Trafford 5 minutes before the last stadium tour, around 4pm. We were so excited and managed to take a number of photos around the Theatre of Dreams especially in the Museums, Players Room and the Dugouts. Though tired, it was definitely a trip to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment