Monday, April 27, 2009

SLUMDOG BOWLER...


The result speaks for itself... 134, 130, 162, 153, 147, 135... Avg 144... What happened?

Lately my pinfalls have suffered severely due to lack of focus, heart and mental commitment to the game. For the past 3 years, I used to play beyond the 180 average for any game or tournament and so far the best 12 games average was 215 pinfalls (w/o handicap) in one of the graded tournament held in Johor 2 years ago. I even made a few 220 average for a 4 games tournament. It wasn't too good but good enough for my own satisfaction.

Even without a good-form, normally it has never gone below 170 average pinfalls. My normal respectable average was always at 180 to 200 range which is acceptable (& respectable) though I can hardly be in Top 5 with that average.

But now, I am back to a slumdog status. My strike ball constantly missed the pocket and my spares are no longer consistent. At times, I even miss the pin 5 spare, the easiest spare on earth. I guess it's time to call it a day as my passions are no longer there for the game. I believe there is a way back but for now, I just couldn't find the key anymore.

Some of the possible factors are due to:
1. Work stress. The mind wasn't there during the games.
2. Zero fighting spirit. I felt no desire to win at all.
3. No more fun in the game. The game has lost its sex-appeal to me.
4. Practise. I just don't have enough time to play as usual as before.
5. Competitive Sports to Recreational bowling. I can no longer take the game seriously.
6. Not enough rest. I was rushing from office before the game in KL.
7. Multiple personal factors. Perhaps so many agenda in the head.

Rather than physical, I strongly believe the mental part of the game has seriously fallen apart. Once you lose the focus in doing anything, performance will suffer, not only in bowling.

And focus is not something that you can simply do. You have to have a clear mind, get enough rest and play with a mission. Otherwise it is like driving a car without a final destination. You could end up in the river...

Well, who cares right? Some of my true bowling colleagues did express their concern and willingness to help me in bringing back my game. Some even recommended me to change the ball as my all-time-favorite ball has reached its retirement age (5 years already), and so on... personally I believe there's nothing wrong with the ball as I guess the main problem is with me.

Thinking about it over and over again, I believe the best is to STOP (until further notice) as lately performance has suffered signifcantly. If I continue playing, things will get even worse rather than better. This could be temporary or this could be for good, I just don't know.

Whether I'll be back or not, bowling will always be one of the game that I watch and support.

To my bowling colleagues especially the Oil Business Team... trust your game, stay united and we shall retain our last year's championship title....

All the best to you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment