Saturday, April 11, 2009

PREPARING MYSELF

I received an email (and later phone calls) 2 days ago mentioning that I was shortlisted for an interview next week in KL. This is regarding a potential job in Saudi Arabia for a Snr Electrical Engineer's position of a well known Petrochemical company there, located in Al-Jubayl.

Well, frankly speaking I am excited but definitely I have no idea (yet) on what sort of offer that I am going to get. Though I did give a few talks on how to attend job interview to my previous internship students, but when it comes to myself, I must admit that I am getting a bit nervy. It's been quite a while since my last job interview and assessment.

Anyway, preparing for job interview is not that difficult though, as all you need is to do some homeworks on the company profile that you may be working with apart from (of course) preparing my self-confidence and experience prior to the interview.

Some of the key things:

1. Prepare all sort of certificates, documents, papers as well as work evidence for them to review. They have got my resumes upfront but for sure preparing extra 2 to 3 copies wouldn't harm anybody.

2. Dress appropriately, or simply dress to kill though I don't intend to kill anybody.

3. Be there 30 minutes before the interview. I am planning to overnight at the hotel a night before with my family so I don't have to deal with the traffics.

4. Smile & confident. Be myself and show respect to the interviewers. Explain my skills and capability appropriately or perhaps use the white-board if necessary.

5. Shows interest in the job and try to deliberate on how can I contribute to the company with the experience that I have.

6. If there is a sign that they may hire me, then only I will negotiate the offer. I will not demand but basic rules is always to have at least 2.5x higher than what am I earning now. Otherwise, I wouldn't go for sure. Another thing is to confirm on either permanent or contract basis. I will not take a contract's position unless the monetary benefit is colossal.

7. All in all, I still have a good job in hand. So there's nothing to fear here. Being confident is vital but over-confident will definitely kill.

Well, I guess wish me All The BEST then... ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment